Friday, July 16, 2021

Altenew Academy AECP - Easy Ink Blending Techniques

Hello Friends and Happy Friday!  I'm back today with 2 projects for the Altenew Academy AECP Course: Easy Ink Blending Techniques.  This course teaches techniques for seamless ink blending with some added twists.  

I used to think ink blending was difficult and when I first tried a few years ago, I was rubbish at it.  I will be honest, the technique take a bit of practice and the right tools for a smooth blend.  Even though ink blending is not new to me, I gained knowledge from this course with techniques I never thought of trying. 

For my first project, I used the "traditional" ink blending technique taught in class.  I masked the center of the card panel and ink blended 4 shaded of blue inks, starting with the darkest on the edges and using lighter shades as I blended inward.  


I allowed the panel to dry completely before removing the mask.  I stamped the Tree and Sentiment, which are from the Altenew Festive Silhouettes Stamp Set, using Black Pigment Ink.  I replaced the mask and splattered the piece with Gloss White Acrylic Spray.  


For this technique, I used blending brushes, which I find give me a smoother blend than the foam pads.  To finish up this card, I matted the focal panel with black card, mounted on craft foam and adhered to a 110 lb. card base.

My next project features ink blending and a bit of water coloring with inks.  This was another technique taught in class that I've never thought of and I'm surprised because it's so obvious and easy to do.


To start, I ink blended on the right bottom half of the card panel using blending brushes and 4 colors of complimentary inks.  I used Canson Mixed Media Paper as I knew I would be using water on the piece.  After the ink dried, I stamped the Altenew Paint-A-Flower Clematis Josephine image over the ink blending.  


Next step was to use darker shades of the inks I used to blend, add water to the areas I wanted to appear darker and add the darker inks to the wet areas.  This technique leaves the ink blending fairly intact and allows for the "watercolor" look with added shading.  Once everything was dry, I splattered the piece with watered down Violet ink and Gloss White Acrylic Spray.

I did not have a snippet of card in the fuchsia/violet color so I ink blended the top and left side of the snippet, adhered the focal panel, matted with black card, mounted on craft foam and adhered to a 110 lb. card base.

To finish, I heat embossed the sentiment, from the same stamp set, on a snippet of black card, mounted on craft foam and adhered to the card base.  Lastly, added sequins for a bit of shine and interest.

I thoroughly enjoyed this course and was very pleased with the finished cards.  Most of all, I liked the idea of taking ordinary ink blending to new heights.  Thanks for visiting and reading through my post today.  I'll be back soon with another AECP project so until next time, Happy Crafting!

Donna

Products Used:
Catherine Pooler Inks
Neenah Classic Crest Solar White Card Stock (110 and 80 lb)
Blending Brushes from Amazon
Ranger Fine Detail White Embossing Powder
Recollections Black Cardstock 80 lb
Sequins - Unbranded

**Challenges Entered:
Holiday Card:


Clematis Josephine Card:







18 comments:

  1. Morning Donna,

    Liking the CAS Christmas Tree design but the wonderful fusion of colour on the second really appeals to my inky nature, as always lovely to see you at We Love Chocolate Baroque, thank you for joining in.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful blending!
    So glad you have shared this with us at 613 Avenue Create.
    Please come back again!
    The best of luck with your entry.
    Stay safe and well.
    Jackie, DT member at 613 xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you took the course, and shared the "fruits of your labor" with the rest of us, Donna! They are lovely! hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two beautiful cards and love especially the second one, your flowers look so pretty with the technique you used, thanks for sharing the process!
    Thanks also for joining us at We Love Chocolate Baroque challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a fabulous job of blending your background! Very nicely done.
    Thanks so much for a wonderful response to our challenge at 613 Avenue Create!
    Hugz,
    Chana Malkah,
    A Place To Start, Owner
    613 Avenue Create, Owner
    Redora Lee Designs , My Blog
    The Color of Cards, Owner

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful. Thanks for joining us at UYS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your ink blending looks beautiful. I think I need that class. [Bunny]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous ink blending Donna and two lovely cards
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great card and love the fun tree. Thanks for sharing over at Crafty Catz, Cardz 4 Galz.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Donna your cards are gorgeous I especially love the flower one and the way you have done the colouring it looks fabulous, thank you for joining our challenge at WLCB this month
    hugs
    lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabolous blending, love it. Thanks for sharing with us at 613 Avenue Create. Vesna

    ReplyDelete
  12. BRILLIANT!!! These are ah-mazing! Thank you for submitting your wonderful work to the AECP assignment gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both of these cards are fabulous. Love the blending technique. Thank you for playing along with us @ A Place to Start AJ DT @ APtS

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic job! I used to think ink blending was difficult too but now I'm getting a better at it too! Thanks for joining us at Crafter's Cafe and we apologize for the technical issues!

    - Jill
    Tiny Treasure Workshop

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful colour and blending. Thanks for sharing with us at the Crafters Cafe, you will be included in the draw. CarolG

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm loving your blue background giving an oval aperture. brilliant. Thanks for sharing with us at Cardz 4 Galz. Caz. DT

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful card for Christmas in July. Thank you for sharing it with us at Through the Purple Haze Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Two beautiful cards Donna. Love the colours you have blended for your floral card. Thanks so much for joining in on the fun at Uniko. Hugs Bev x

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! Thanks so much for visiting me!