Thursday, September 30, 2021

Altenew Academy - Beyond Basic Backgrounds

Hello Crafty Friends!  I've passed my Level 1 Altenew Academy courses and have been given the go-ahead to start Level 2.  The first course for Level 2 is Beyond Basic Backgrounds.  I thought I knew all the great techniques for creating awesome backgrounds but I learned a few more brilliant ones.  Today I'm sharing a technique that may not be new to you; and it wasn't to me either, but was one I needed reminded of.


One of examples had the Instructor using a foiling technique and I had all the supplies needed to do the same.  I stenciled Hot Foiling Gel through a Brick Wall Stencil on a panel of Neenah Solar White 80 lb. card.  I set the panel aside to dry and proceeded to work on the floral images.  TIP:  When using foiling gel, texture pastes and the like, wash your tools quickly and completely before the medium dries.  Once dry, it will be very hard to remove or possibly not be removable at all.

Using the Altenew/Simon Says Stamp Collaboration Set for Stamptember 2021; From the Rose Bush, I stamped layers of Yellow and Orange inks to create 3 Autumn Rose Blooms. For the sprigs, I stamped in a Light Brown ink and die cut all using the coordinating dies.

Once my panel was dry, I placed a piece of  foil on top of the dried gel, placed the panel in a carrier sheet (I use waxed paper) and ran it through my heat laminator. After allowing it to cool just a sec, I peeled the foil sheet away and what was left behind was a gorgeous, shiny, foiled brick wall design.


Next step was to arrange my florals and pick up using Press and Seal Plastic Wrap.  I adhered a strip of ribbon to the foiled panel and backed with brown card before adhering to my card base.  I added adhesive to the backs of my florals, leaving the front bloom without adhesive as I was mounting on craft foam for dimension.  I place the arrangement on the panel and made certain all were adhered well.  Lastly, I stamped a sentiment from the same stamp set, added craft foam behind the strip and adhered to the card front.  Project Complete!

This was a great lesson that refreshed techniques I've used in the past as well as shared techniques that were new to me.  It was nice to have a play with stenciling and foiling to create a very eye-catching background.

Until next time, Happy Crafting!

Donna

Challenges Entered:
As You Like It - Autumn is my Fav time of year.  I love the Colors and Crisp Air














6 comments:

  1. This must be amazing IRL, as it looks stunning here. What a great way to create a background
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful card, lovely colours. Thanks for joining AYLI challenge. Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. An awesome background and beautiful flowers, Donna! Thanks for sharing with Krafty Chicks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can imagine how gorgeous that shiny gold background must be in real life - a beautiful complement for those pretty blooms. Thanks so much for playing along with us at TIME OUT and congrats on your Altenew Academy achievement :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic Donna!! Super awesome. Thank you for submitting your fabulous work to the AECP assignment gallery.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! Thanks so much for visiting me!