Friday, December 10, 2021

Altenew Academy Level 2 Course: Creative Watercolor Media

Hello Crafty Friends!  Today I'm sharing my project for the AECP (Altenew Educator Certification Program) Level 2 Course:  Creative Watercolor Media.  The basis of this course is to teach, share and encourage the use of various watercolor techniques.  For my project, I've created a Happy New Year Card with an ethereal background using watercolor paints and shimmer spray.


To start the cardmaking process, I created a dreamy background panel using Gansai Tambi watercolor paints and Strathmore Watercolor card.  For this technique, it's best to use watercolor card as the process does use a fair bit of water and the card must hold up. 

Mixing shades of blues and purples, I dropped watercolor randomly on a pre-dampened panel of watercolor card.  Using my heat tool, I dried the panel in between adding color in order to build up the color without turning them "muddy" or loosing the intensity of each color.  

Once I was happy with the color combination, I set the panel aside to dry completely.  Once dry, I spritzed the panel with Shimmer Spray and set aside once more to dry.



Next was to stamp, heat emboss and die cut images from the new to me Altenew "Happy Dreams" Stamp and Coordinating Die Set.  Using complimentary shades of colored embossing powders to match the background panel, the images and sentiment were stamped and heat embossed.  The images were cut using the coordinating dies and the sentiment was cut using a circle die.


I did a dry run arrangement on my panel so I would know where I could stamp stars and 2 additional sentiments.  Using the Altenew's "Cloudy Night" Crisp Dye Ink mini cube; which is part of the Gentleman's Gray Mini Cube Set, I stamped the star clusters and sentiments.  I preferred the look of gray ink here; not as harsh as black and it fits my ethereal theme.

Lastly, time to arrange my focal images and once arranged, I picked up the cluster using Press and Seal Plastic Wrap in order to keep everything in it's place.  I've added craft foam behind the cluster and adhered to the panel using liquid adhesive. To complete the design, I've added Gray Opal Faux Pearls.

I'm very pleased with this watercolor technique; it's easy and creates wonderful results.  Each time you play with watercolor in this way, no two backgrounds will be the same and that appeals to me.  

Thanks for visiting today and until next time, Happy Crafting!

Donna

**Challenges Entered:











9 comments:

  1. Oh this is a pretty card and yes the background is very dreamy. Great happy dance celebration Donna. thank you for joining us again at the River of Creativity. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for a New Year card. Love the soft colours in the background and the matching feathers behind the central greeting. Thanks for sharing at Uniko. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful background Donna, and an exquisite card as a result. Love that you used grey rather than black for the stars
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous background, Donna. Dreamy is just the word to describe it. Thanks so much for sharing with us over at Little Red Wagon this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely card. Thank you for joining in the Aud Sentiments challenge this time.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful colours, love your card. Thanks for playing at Uniko, hope to see you join in with future challenges too. Stay safe and keep crafting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty. So glad you shared over at Crafty Catz. Aud Sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another absolutely fantastic card, Donna! Thank you for submitting this to the AECP assignment gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Donna, all your colour layering turned out in a very beautiful card!
    Thanks for sharing your creativity with us in the Uniko Challenge #68.

    Best wishes from Wiebke

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! Thanks so much for visiting me!