Friday, January 28, 2022

Altenew Academy Level 2 Course: Masking Unleashed

Hello Crafty Friends!  Today I'm sharing a card created for the Altenew Academy Level 2 Course:  Masking Unleashed.  This course focuses on Masking tips, tricks and techniques for creating interest in your cardmaking. 

For my card, I've used the Altenew "Indoor Garden" Stamp Set to create a Friendship Card.  I like to have a nice variety of card themes in my stash and friendship cards are ones I send often.



  1. To start my design, I've created a background panel that looks like it's been stenciled but the leaf design has been created using masks.  I die cut several leaf masks using a die from the Altenew "Poppy Arrangement" Die Set.  I also die cut an Oval from the masking paper as well.
  2. I arranged the leaf masks in a random pattern and layered the oval mask over the leaves making certain all the masks were adhered very well.
  3. I ink blended over the masked panel using a light pink and used a darker shade along the edges.  
  4. I set the panel aside to dry; I wanted the ink to dry completely before removing the masks.
  5. Once the panel was dry, the masks were removed to revealed the "faux" stenciled background.  I stamped the succulent images and basket directly to the panel using varying shades of blue and green inks.  
  6. The sentiment, from the Altenew Paint-A-Flower Himalayan Poppy Stamp Set, was stamped directly to the panel.  
  7. Before adhering the inked panel to the black mat, I wrapped Altenew's Enchanted Gold Metallic Thread  around the card to give the potted plant a "landing" spot so the image wouldn't appear to be  floating in air.  
  8. Lastly, all were adhered to a 110 lb. cardbase and black gems were added for additional interest.


This was an enjoyable class and the best bit was using die cut masks to create a faux stenciled look.  Why didn't I think of this technique?  Thanks to the course, I'll use masks more often.  

This completes my class project and also completes all of the coursework in Level 2.  I now await my Level 2 Final Assigment.  I'll be back soon with the projects for that!

Until next time, Happy Crafting!

Donna

**Challenges Entered:
As You Like It - I like to add color by ink blending but my fav way is with alcohol markers


9 comments:

  1. Beautiful card Donna! Love these tips and techniques!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful card.
    Thank you for joining us at CRAFT Challenge Blog challenge. Good luck Ginny DT for
    CRAFT Challenge Blog
    My Blog As I do Rodos

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely card. Thanks for joining Aud Sentiments challenge. Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great focal stamp and lovely masked and inked background. Thank you for sharing you pretty card at Crafty Catz this week.
    Chris
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a pretty inked background to show off your bowl, thank you for sharing at Crafty Catz challenge, Tilly

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great technique, Donna, and I love the way you have used it on this delightful card.
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your card is beautiful! I love the masking techniques and also the fun color combo of pink and green. Please remember next time that to be considered for winning prizes or being Top at Taking Time we only allow 5 challenges combined. You can check "how to play" from our sidebar. Thank you and I hope to see you playing again at Time Out!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments! Thanks so much for visiting me!